Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Qatar Airways Cabin Crew Application

I had my last recruitment experience with Qatar Airways June of 2012. I only made it to the final interview but the whole experience is something I'll always look back to and feel proud of. I'm not a flight attendant yet but I admit I still dream to be. I just don't want to rush things and stress myself about it. It's something I cannot put away from my thoughts but I just cling onto this principle, "Jesus is my source of hope and joy and not the things I thought could bring those in this world." I'd like to settle myself there first and wait if I would really become an FA in the future or not.

Anyhoo, the whole experience with QR recruitment team was nerve wracking. My heart beat's pumping all the time and my mind couldn't stop racing until finally, I received their regret email. Of course, after that, I also felt sad and disappointed. So, imagine all the waves of emotions I've coursed through in three months time.

I'll just try to summarize my whole experience using numbers and bullets and I hope you won't mind. So, basically, I went through four selection processes in three days, Initial Screening (Open Day), English Test, Group Dynamics (Both happened during the Assessment Day) and lastly, Final Interview. I am still grateful I made it to the final interview because as every QR applicant would agree, each selection process wasn't easy.

Open Day: Initial Screening

The initial screening/ resume submission/ initial interview happened during the Open Day. Three or four recruiters from different sides of the world and cultures receive the resume, do the small talks while screening each applicant. Everyone's lined up from the registration and initial reach test up to the submission of their resume. Once it is your turn, the recruiter will look/ stare at you (as if scrutinizing) while talking. They'll ask one to more than two questions but the number of questions asked is not the basis of your acceptance. I've attended more than two ODs and the questions I got were mostly, "What's your current job?", "Why do you want to be a flight attendant?", "Is this your first time to apply?", or "Is this your number?". Based on my experience, when they ask if the number in the resume is your active number, you most likely get the call.

At Manila Hotel with hubby
Tips: Wear location-appropriate make up. I wear heavier makeup if the hotel lighting is gloomy. And also, sit and walk straight but not stiff. Smile and relax. It's okay to interact to steam off the tension but, do not be too loud.

Assessment Day

1. Orientation

This is a 45-minute to 1-hour orientation about Qatar Airways. What will be tackled are QR's mission and vision, management, flights, fleets, etc. In here, they will also discuss about the Cabin crew's salary and benefits. There's question and answer portion. It's nice to participate but honestly, I didn't. Because I didn't know the answers. :) Former and current cabin crews in the room actively participated that time. It may or may not affect your chance of getting to the next stage but since I passed the first half of the assessment day without raising my hand, you don't have to worry if you weren't able to participate.

2. English test

If you didn't get a chance to participate during the orientation, you still have this period to create a good impression. During the exam (this exam is easy but still needs right amount of attention), each candidate will be called one by one to do a secondary reach test. During the reach test, you will remove your shoes and blazer and will be asked if you have any birth marks, scars or moles. There are two spot lights in front of you while this is happening. I bet this is so they can look at your skin clearer. Then, after a 15-20 minute break, everyone starts praying for their numbers to be selected for the group dynamics [at the start of the day, a number is assigned to each candidate].

Tips: Stand and walk with your posture straight and graceful. Smile and move and speak with poise and right amount of confidence. And then again, SMILE. Try relaxing and enjoying the moment to make this natural. Makeup for hotel lighting/ indoors still appropriate.

3. Group Dynamics

Another selection process sets off. The remaining ones will be divided into 3 to 4 groups. Each group are independent of each other. It's not a group versus other group competition. Based on my observation, they are only after seeing how each candidate works in a group.

A question will be given to each batch of groups. After the first batch of groups are done with the exercise,  recruiters will call out the remaining groups to enter the room.

I did the group dynamics twice. At first, the challenge was to think of three persons to represent and uphold QR's mission and vision that would help promote a new Qatar Airways Hotel. Our team thought of a local beauty queen/ architect, Obama and another local icon (can't remember who). Anyway, we were given a limited time to talk and finalize our answer. After that, the two groups were asked to face each other and every member had a chance to talk. Unfortunately, on my first GD, I was caught talking to my team mates about our answer and was scolded. And I didn't make it to the final interview.

For my second GD, the recruiters asked us to create a chocolate brand that would be given away to customers. Create a logo, design the chocolate and its wrapper/ box and make a tag line. During this exercise, I waited patiently for my turn to talk. And while others were talking, I smiled, nodded and listened to their ideas. While listening, I'm also thinking of a BRILLIANT idea that would make our chocolate the best! When it's my turn, I talked to the group smiling, my voice not too high or too low but clear. After this, another selection was made. Numbers of those who made it to the final interview were called one by one. And surprisingly, my number was called.

Tips: Keep your poise while sitting. Be respectful yet smart when you talk. And smile while interacting.

Final Interview

The final interview was a day or two after the GD. It was scheduled at the Ipams office. My batch were asked to choose and agree on our final interview schedule. I chose the afternoon sched since I'll be coming from work.

We were asked to be there 30 minutes before our schedule. So I went there 45 minutes before my time. Since interview of other candidates were fast, I got called in earlier than expected. The interview took not more than 15 minutes for me. I don't know about other applicants but mine did. I put on the same amount of makeup I had during the OD and AD, not aware of what it would look like inside Ipams office. I had no idea then. Their office was still in Manila at that time. If I have known that their office has many windows, I would have put on lighter make up. Anyways, the next time I'll have the same opportunity, I'll make my makeup as natural as possible. :)

The questions were mostly about my filled out QR application form which the recruiters gave at the end of GD, right after selecting those who will undergo FI. They asked about my hair color, visible marks, tattoos, scars, current employment. And I think the most important question they asked me was this, "Was there an instance in your current job that you and your colleagues or boss had a misunderstanding? What happened? Why did it happen? And what did you learn at the end?" I won't tell you what I answered but to cut the story, after three months or less, I received a regret letter (It's still in my email as a memento, haha).

One of the photos I submitted during the Final Interview
What I also can't forget was, right before the interview ended, one of the recruiters remarked that I have a close up smile. :) a token before they send me their regret email, lol.

Tips: First, as a disclaimer, the tips I write here are my personal opinion and are based on what I have observed or experience. It may or may not apply to everyone. I guess what matters during the final interview is how you will show them that you are fit for the job. I'm not saying you should have the experience but your answers might affect how they will perceive you as someone who can be a cabin crew or not. Aside from that, still apply other factors you've learned during the first and second day.

106 comments:

  1. i will apply for QR career next month in thailand..thanks..i like ur story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and good luck to you! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. hello! i am pleased to read your post about this since i am planning to apply for this position. i wonder what your preparations are prior to that day. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mariel! You would be surprised if I tell you everything I did to prepare myself. But I don't think too much preparation can make you get the job. Just be yourself, feel good so you'll look good and enjoy the journey. :) good luck! Keep in touch in case you get through the open day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello and thank you for your feedback. can i ask what type of full body photograph u had. Should I get a professional one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Do have your photo done by a professional :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kikay Morena :) Were you married when you applied at QR? I'm always curious whenever there is a possibility if a married woman could apply in a FA job.. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I already was when I applied. Go try your luck if your married already :)

      Delete
  5. Hi ms. Kikay morena, are they strict with hairy legs? And scar in arm? Thank u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks for the comment. I don't think your scars or hairy legs will be a problem but waxing or shaving before the recruitment day will help. As for the scar, is it that visible? Coz honestly I have lots of scars too. I think they will focus more on your overall look, personality and smile which will out charm any flaws you think you have.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ms. Kikay morena! Just in case u passed the OD on a saturday(1st day of OD), will u be asked to come also on the 1st day of AD? I'm having a conflict w/ my sched. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Yes. That may be the case. So how was your application? Did you pass the OD??? :)))) Share your story!

      Delete
  6. Hi Kikay Morena! :) my name is Jb. So, how did you respond when you were asked about scars and birth marks? Would they consider it if they aren't visible while wearing their uniform? And do they really scrutinize your skin to check for flaws? Thank you very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only asked about birth marks so I showed where my visible marks and moles are. And they did have spotlights during the second day of interview.

      Delete
    2. I think marks will only be an issue if it affects your appearance greatly.

      Delete
  7. Hi there! already read some part of your blog. i wanted to apply sana for Qatar airlines, ill just ask how did you prepare for the said interview, because its a 9am-12 right? and im planning to go to a salon or mall so i can have professional look make up. am i required to be before 9am? or i should be there between 9-12? haha kinda confused please help me thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having your makeup done by a pro is great but not really necessary. Some of the girls who passed the open day didn't wear much makeup but wore sweet and genuine smile. Your smile and the first impression you create will attract the recruiters. Just look smart and beautiful in your own way :)

      Delete
    2. And yes, you may go there anytime between 9-12. Though I'm pretty sure many will be there as early as 7am

      Delete
  8. Hi i just wanna know if what is the english test all about?
    And were the ipams interviewers intimidating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serah! It's basic English and IQ test. As for the recruiters, they were sophisticated professionals and may often be intimidating. But don't let that prevent you from being yourself in a professional way.

      Delete
  9. Hello. I am in my 30's and just wondering if there is an implicit limit to age requirements since QR only mentioned minimum age of 21 as a requirement to apply. Do you think applicants in their 30's have an equal chance of moving forward with the recruitment process? Have you encountered co-applicants in their 30's when you applied?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I met someone whose age is 31 and she passed the open day!

      Delete
  10. Hi! I'd like to try at qatar airways too but I'm just 20, and the minimum age is 21, will they consider me? can I still give it a shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cherry! Strict ata sila sa age limit. ipams pa lang, tinatanong na age eh. And before, pinauwi yung below age limit... Good thing is you have ample time to prepare :)))) You're still young, try ka ring mag-apply sa local airlines to gain experience!

      Delete
  11. hi im curious if the hair color greatly affects your chance. i mean i dyed my hair months ago with dark brown and my natural color is now showing on my roots. BTW, nice write up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't think it will affect your chances but during FI, they asked me to maintain the dye of my hair if ever I'll get accepted. I just had it done that time. So it's either black or brown.

      Delete
  12. Hi. I would just like to ask regarding the arm reach test, is the shoes on when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be asking you to remove your shoes when you do the reach test. :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Kikay Morena! I really appreciate you sharing your experience on your application in QR.. I wonder if they allow applicants wearing hijab/veil for muslims?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Didn't notice anyone wearing that before but I think you can wear that. I'm just not sure if the recruiters will ask you to remove it when you're in front them. As long as this profession won't go against your religion. They may ask that same question too. I guess?

      Delete
  14. hi. =) is it okay to wear sleeveless and printed blouse (under ng blazer)? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo naman. Magrerecommend lang sila ng susuotin pag Assessment day and FI. :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Kikay Morena, may question lang ako, baka kasi you have a similar experience or you know someone na may similar experience. QR will have it's open day sa Sept 27-28 dito sa Pinas. Then I heard na mas okay daw magsubmmit ng CV sa first day (so in this case, sa sept 27). Then nag-apply ako online pa rin kahit na alam kong open day siya. Then kanina lang ako nagsubmit ng online application ko (sept 24, 2014). then I received an email na pinapapunta ako sa sept 28, which is the second day. so my question is, will I still follow the date sa email na sinend nila sa kin which is to go on the second day or I will still insist to go sa first day kasi nga I have heard na it's better to send your CV sa first day? Salamat Kikay Morena! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kamusta? How did your application go? Hope it went well :)

      Delete
    2. hi ms kikay morena and arniel :) i'll be applying on oct25 sa qatar airways. ask ko lang sana ung abt sa group discussion? ano ung mga topics sa group discussion? :)
      and ano ung mga tanong sa open day interview? thank you soooo much! :)

      Delete
  16. Hi! Good read.. :) btw, i just wanted to know... Do pimples and pimple scars matter a lot during their evaluations? You see I do have some of them on my face, hence, my doubts in attending the OD of qa this weekend. :/ Do you really need to have a flawless face in order to qualify?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they want clear skin. If the scars can be hidden through make-up, you may still have a chance. Just capture the eyes of the recruiters with your confidence, smile and appeal. :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Kikay!
    Very informative blog! Thanks!
    Just want to ask if having a crooked teeth would be a big deal for the interviewers? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I think they are after a good smile. If your teeth is crooked but you have a great smile, you may still get qualified! Mine was not perfect the time I got through the 1st and 2nd stage. And I don't think it was the reason why I didn't pass the FI.

      Delete
  18. Hi. I just want to ask after the initial ( reach test and interview ) , how long do you have wait for them to call if you will go through the next process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got your golden call... I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer right away. So, how was it?

      Delete
  19. Hi! :) do they consider applicants with braces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, they don't. When I was applying before, Ipams advised applicants with braces to go home already even before they enter the main recruitment area.

      Delete
  20. Hi! Didn't know that I had all your inquiries lined up already as google sent all the notifications in my spam box! But I am overwhelmed and excited to answer though I know it's already very late for most. But I'll try to do it one at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi ms kikay morena and everyone :) i'll be applying on oct25 sa qatar airways. ask ko lang sana ung abt sa group discussion? ano ung mga topics sa group discussion? :)
    and ano ung mga tanong sa open day interview? thank you soooo much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice blog Kikay! :) Goodluck girls! Hope to fly with you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! Hope to fly with you too!!!!

      Delete
  23. Hi! I would like to know what it means to get an email from them a week after the final interview indicating an Advanced Candidate Zone. I asked a lot of my co-applicants and they said they've received a similar one. I was wondering, did you also receive something like that before they've sent you the regret email months later..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't receive any but please share screenshot of what you received! :) if I understood correctly, advanced candidate zone might be positive!

      Delete
  24. Hi everyone! Tanong ko lang kung one or both hands ang kailangan sa reach test? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Per my last experience, they allowed two arms :)

      Delete
  25. Hi. how will i know if iwill pass the "good sets of teeth thingy"? And pano kung chubby?will ihave a chance? 😫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dree! Don't fret! You don't have to have a perfect set of teeth to look presentable and beautiful and shining! And as for being chubby, I don't think they have a rule against that. But your bmi should b proportionate to your height :)

      Delete
  26. Hello Kikay Morean, I really enjoy reading you blog its like watching your movie and I am your audience.

    I'm from cdo and I've been wanting to apply FA in Qatar airways but I just missed their recruitment :(

    Curious lang po ako kung may nag apply na payat kasing payat ni alex gonzaga? Kasi payat po ako..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Your weight just have to be proportion sa height or pasok sa BMI. :) They want your overall look to be pleasing sa eyes. :)

      Delete
  27. Hi! Thanks fot sharing your experience. Is it going to be taken against you if you're going to admit that you have a small birthmark on your cheek (which they wont see since it's covered with concealer)?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Also, do you know anyone who was accepted even with scoliosis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard anyone with scoliosis unfortunately 😊

      Delete
  29. Im sorry, i have another question. Do they prefer black or brown hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the interview, they only mentioned That if I want to maintain my dyed brown hair, I should continue doing it. Just make sure no black hair will show during flights as they won't allow that.

      Delete
  30. I see. Thanks for your reply. Are we supposed to wear brown stockings or not?☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not allowed during the recruitment process, unfortunately but good luck!

      Delete
  31. Hi miss Kikay! Youve mentioned that during the arm reach test you have to take off your blazer, my concern is that my underarm is not that maputi and sadly my little scars din siya, would this disqualify me if ever I'll apply? Are they particular about this? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi piyatooot! I find your question a bit funny but I understand the frustration. However, no need to worry because as far as I know, thay won't check your arm pits ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Miss Kikay, just want to ask if They can hire me even if I have a child already?:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Miss Kikay, just want to ask if They can hire me even if I have a child already?:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Miss Kikay, just want to ask if They can hire me even if I have a child already?:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sophia! Yes, they do accept applicants with children and I also know people who had and made it. :)

      Delete
  36. Hi there hope all is well. I was wondering I had an interview with Qatar airways in March thou I got a regret letter and I see thy coming again and as far as I know if you've had an interview with any airline I can only apply after 6months but I would like to try again can I apply before 6months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, you can really only apply after 6 mos. although trying again early might be ok as we don't know what will be the outcome. But it's still better to prepare yourself within the waiting period of 6 mos :)

      Delete
  37. Ok that's understandable I think il wait for the waiting period.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi po, ganda ng blog mo. :) ask lang po if ok lang ba may retainer? Or missing teeth sa gilid? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis, strict sila sa retainers at braces kaya tanggalin mo na lang during interview :) and yung tooth sa gilid, if di halata ok lang yun. :)

      Delete
  39. Hi! i really love reading your blogs, i find it really helpful especially in my case who is really aspiring to be an FA someday. I just want to ask if moles has an impact on their qualifications? i do have some on my face, and yes it is visible and i also have it on my body. Do you by any chance happen to know if i'll be qualified? Thank you!!! :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey! As long as you can conceal your moles, they won't mind it :) Use pro long wear concealers or whichever suits you best! God bless you in pursuing your dream! :)

      Delete
  40. Hi are they accepting applicants with tattoo?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Are they accepting applicants with tattoo? Worried lang ako kasi tourism graduate ako, nawalan ako bigla ng gana kasi feeling ko kelangan lagi ng backer kapag mag-apply sa mga airlines.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Cheenee! That's ok as long as your tattoo is not visible when wearing corporate suit! And I think being in an airline doesn't happen Through a backer only! Have faith in Him and I know He will fulfill our dreams! 😊💕

    ReplyDelete
  43. hi kikay! if had a mole on the face, is still be accepted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw CCs with visible mole on their face, so don't lose hope! There's no harm in trying! :)

      Delete
  44. Hello kikaymorena Id like to know what are the English test if u could still remember thnkyou for your response :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi kikay morena I love reading your blog. May I just ask what English test did they ask you set some example please if u could still RM Ber. thankyousomuch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if my memory serves me right, only basic english comm skills and general world knowledge are covered in the exam. They come in multiple choices or fill in the blanks :)

      Delete
  46. Hi! Is QA really strict in terms of having a perfect set of teeth? I have one front tooth that is a little misaligned, so I'm hesistating to apply at QA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your teeth doesn't have to be perfect. You just have to naturally have a pleasant and sincere smile 😄

      Delete
  47. Thank you for your Blog
    Did you finally get over your period of contemplation,reapply and make it in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, not yet. I was on dental braces for the past two years and now that I had them removed, QR hasn't been recruiting in our country again yet.. Thanks for reading my blog though

      Delete
  48. Hi Miss Kikay Morena. some veins on my legs are visible, and there are some childhood scars but the color is already symmetric to my complexion. you think it will matter on their qualifications? hope to hear from you soon

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi is it required na you know how to swim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss N! As a soon-to-be Cabin Crew, you'll be required to know how to swim unaided.. I guess it's part of the safety-related responsibility of an FA. Although I'm not sure how it worked with those who doesn't and still got in (though I haven't heard of anyone), but it brings more confidence if you already know how to. ;) Go future FA!

      Delete
  50. Hi..your story helps a lot. Do QR allow someone who wears headscarf to apply ?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Yes cosmicgirl! They accept muslim applicants! ��

    Good luck on your application!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are strict about braces, unfortunately :( no braces or retainers are allowed during recruitment open day with qatar..

      Delete
  53. I heard that qatar airlines is going to recruit again in Manila this coming Saturday. Are you allowed to walk-in or will there be an invitation sent to you via email through their application process online? I tried applying online but there is no response from them yet. I was also wondering if there were applicants who passed even if they have no cabin crew experience?

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi! Yes it's open to all walkins with or without experience! Go ahead and try your luck. See ipams.com for the list of requirement. Wear strictly formal business attire and smile!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hey Kikay
    Qatar is doing a round of interviews in India this month. And I really wish to get through it. However the one thing that's keeping me from applying is that I have marks on both my arms from a drug reaction which is currently under treatment. However the doctor has told me that they won't be going away anytime soon. I would like to know if they take marks too seriously in spite of them being covered in the uniform. Do you think I should conceal it with make up? Hoping for a quick reply.
    Your article has been really helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. It says 17, 18 and 19th of September this year. Does it mean pwede pa po kaya magsubmit ng CV on the 18th? Or 17 lang talaga CV submission? I work on saturdays din kasi but I really want to try. Sana pwede pa. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Cv submission from 17 to 19! You'll know if you passed within the day.

      Delete
    2. Hi assesment day ko po in sept 21 gsto ko lang po itanong kng mhirap po ba ang englsih test and abt sa scars do we have to be honest abt it pano kng d nman nakikita? Likr sa tuhod thabks in advace

      Delete
    3. Hi! Basic english, math, world knowledge and logic test lang siya. Just maintain your poise during the whole process. About scars, they'll check but usually birthmarks ang tinatanong nila.. Hope this helps! God bless you on your assessment!

      Delete
  57. Hi po! Thanks for sharing your experience. May mga tanong po ako about sa AD. Meron kasi akong nabasa na public speaking yung task na pinagawa sa kanila. Depende ba sa dami ng applicants yun during that day? And Filipino po ba naginterview sa inyo nung FI? Ilan po sila sa panel?

    Thanks a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! During the group dynamics, you'll be given a chance to speak. Baka yun yung sinasabi nilang public speaking ☺️ For the recruitment officer, depende sa na-assign na RO if ibang lahi o Pinay.. Usually they're 2 or 3. But in mu experience, dalawa silang noon. Isang middle eastern, isang mestiza.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! :)