Friday, April 8, 2011

Dollface Contour and Highlight Review

I bought this pre-loved Dollface contour and highlight palette from a good friend. It was originally priced at P550 but I was able to buy it at only P250. It's still in very good condition except for the minor cracks and besides, my good friend also included a lot of freebies with the palette. My favorite among her freebies was the Covergirl Bronzer. So, it was all still a good buy! :)


I've been wanting to have this palette ever since I saw a famous celebrity makeup artist using this on one of my fave local artist. And also, I noticed that my old photos were all plain and bland without contouring. So, if you'll notice the differences of my old and recent photos, it's all because of that. :)


What Dollface Cosmetics say...

Size
 Palette's 4 x 6 inches. Powder pans are at 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) in diameter each.

Ingredients
Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Proplparaben.
May contain Mica and Titanium Sioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, FD&C Red No.40 A1Lake, FD&C Red No.7 Ca Lake, Fd&C Yellow No.5 A1Lake, FD&C Blue No. 1 A1 Lake.



What Kikay Morena thinks...

Size
Pan is big enough. Will last forever if you'll only use it for yourself. The palette size is also handy and can also fit in your purse or hand bag.

Quality
The ingredients and packaging are almost the same as the Coastal Scents' palettes but, the powder pan easily cracks so you really have to avoid dropping or putting heavy objects over it.

Pigment
Very pigmented and will suit medium light to dark skin tones. Those with lighter skin tone might have to control the application to avoid making the contour look dirty. All in all, the pigment is great and can be for all skin tones!

Usefulness
The two colors are surely useful for all skin tones. The white is useful for highlighting the nose bridge, brow bonecheekbone, upper lip and chin. While the brown color, for contouring the eyes, cheeks, forehead and nose. But, application may differ on a particular face shape.

Here's a diagram on where to put contouring and highlighting in a round face.

Photo from Google

How much do I love it?
I love it and I'm giving it 8 out of 10 lovings! It really does magic and I love how it makes me look great on photos. I don't look bland and unnatural on photos anymore. :)

Kikay Morena's tips:
First, find a contour powder that is one shade darker than your skin tone and a highlight powder that is one shade lighter. You can use a slanted eyeshadow brush to do the contouring on your nose and eyes and a slanted blush brush for the cheek and other areas.
Second, blend, blend, blend.

Contouring and Highlighting is one way of defining the face by showing it's natural contour or by adding more definition to it. Our face has a natural contour which dulls away when we put concealer and foundation or pressed powder that's why contour and highlight should be done after putting on foundation. But, this process also needs a good blending. With the help of the right tools and techniques, we can perfect contouring and highlighting. I'm not an expert on this but, I've noticed how contouring can make one look awful or awfully good. Here's an example of a badly contoured face with an international comedian/actress as model.


Her contours are way darker than her skin tone and highlights are way lighter. The contours and highlight lacks blending too. Here's another photo that shows good contour and highlighting.


I miss blogging so much. I hope I can blog more on the next days to come. I want to blog about how I look with and without contouring and I want to feature more makeovers by me, the kikay morena! So, that would be it for now ladies!


Lots of Love,


5 comments:

  1. I know that international comedian/actress.. hahaha.. I got scared of her because of her role in the movie, "Precious" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I have only recently gotten into contouring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Joanne :) I don't contour but I want to start because it makes much of a difference :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. huhu i want to learn how to contour my face. I'll practice more more more, hehe thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jenggay: I'm still practicing contouring my face too! :) you can start by having a foundi or powder shade that's a tone lighter and 1 that's a tone darker! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! :)